"17 Seconds" is the twenty-fifth episode of the second season of Grey's Anatomy and the 34th produced episode of the series. It is also the 34th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on May 14, 2006.
Izzie is delighted when UNOS finds a heart for Denny, but when problems arise during Burke and Alex’s transplant surgery Izzie makes a choice that could jeopardize her career and Denny’s life in order to secure him the heart. While dealing with the victims of a shooting, George tries to persuade Callie to integrate herself into his family while Addison confronts Derek after he lets his emotions regarding Meredith get the best of him and Cristina feels pushed aside when Burke lets their relationship affect their professional lives.
- "In life we are taught that there are seven deadly sins. We all know the big ones: gluttony, pride, lust. But the sin you don’t hear much about is anger. Maybe it’s because we think anger’s not that dangerous, that we can control it. My point is maybe we don’t give anger enough credit, maybe it can be a lot more dangerous than we think. After all, when it comes to destructive behaviour, it did make the top seven"
- "So what makes anger different from the other six deadly sins? It's pretty simply really, you give into a sin like envy or pride and you only hurt yourself. Try lust or coveting and you'll only hurt yourself and probably one or two others, but anger... anger is the worst. The mother of all sins. Not only can anger drive you over the edge, when it does you can take an awful lot of other people with you."
- "Gold Lion" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- "Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking" - Snow Patrol
This episodes' title references the album 17 Seconds, originally sung by The Cure
- This episode marks the first appearance of Erica Hahn