"A Change Is Gonna Come" is the first episode of the fourth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 62nd produced episode of the series. It is also the 63rd produced episode of the Grey's Anaromy franchise. It was broadcast on September 27, 2007.
Everything changes. As Meredith, Cristina, Izzie and Alex face their first day as residents while, having failed his exam, George is forced to relive his life as an intern. Callie struggles with the responsibility of being Cheif Resident while Bailey wrestles with her newfound freedom. Meredith tries to define her relationship with Derek as Cristina discovers that Burke resigned after leaving her at the altar. Izzie confronts George about their prolonged separation and Lexie, Meredith’s half-sister, begins her residency at Seattle Grace
- "In the practice of medicine change is inevitable. New surgical techniques are created, procedures are updated, levels of expertise increase. Innovations is everything. Nothing remains the same for long. We either adapt to change or we get left behind."
- "Change. We don't like it, we fear it but we can't stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. It hurts to grow, anybody who tells you it doesn't is lying. But here's the truth, sometimes the more things change the more they stay the same. And sometime,s oh sometimes change is good. Sometimes change is everything."
- "Oversleeping" - I'm From Barcelona
- "Knock 'Em Out" - Lily Allen
- "23" - Blonde Readhead
- "Reasons To Love You" - Meiko
- "To Build A Home" - The Cinematic Orchestra
This episodes' title references the song A Change Is Gonna Come, originally sung by Otis Redding