"A Hard Day's Night" is the first episode of the first season of Grey's Anatomy and the 1st produced episode of the series. It is also the 1st produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 27, 2005.
- "The game. They say a person either has what it takes to play, or they don't. My mother was one of the greats. Me on the other hand...I'm kinda screwed.
- I can't think of a single reason why I should be a surgeon, but I can think of a thousand reasons why I should quit. They make it hard on purpose. There are lives in our hands. There comes a moment when it's more than just a game, and you either take that step forward or turn around and walk away. I could quit, but here's the thing. I love the playing field."
Meredith Grey enrolls in a rigorous surgical residency program at Seattle Grace Hospital where she will spend the next seven years. Hours into the program, Meredith finds out her one-night-stand Derek is her new boss while her fellow interns Cristina, George and Izzie struggle with the rigours of their residency under the tutilage of Miranda Bailey and the Cheif.
- "Portions for Foxes" - Rilo Kiley
- "Super Cool" - Bang Sugar Bang
- "They" - Jem
- "Dance" - The O.A.O.Ts
- "Ready to Rise" - Vaughan Penn
- "Life Is Short" - Butterfly Boucher
- "Into the Fire" - Thirteen Senses
This episodes' title references the song A Hard Day's Night, originally sung by The Beatles