"Almost Grown" is the fifth episode of the seventh season of Grey's Anatomy and the 131st produced episode of the series. It is also the 189th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on October 21, 2010.
As part of their training the resident surgerons are put in charge and become attendings for the day, and Meredith and Jackson compete for the oppertunity to perform their first neurosurgery procedure while Cristina struggles to reinvigorate her interest in medicine, causing concern for Teddy. Meanwhile the attendings compete for a million dollar grant from Richard bringing Callie, Arizona, Bailey, Mark, Teddy and Derek into direct competition.
- "They train doctors slowly. They watch us practice on frogs and pigs and dead people and then live people. They drill us relentlessly, they raise like us children and eventually they take a cold, hard boot and they kick us out of the nest."
- "We all want to grow up, we're desperate to get there, grab all the oppertunities we can: to live. We're so busy trying to get out of that nest we don't think about the fact it's going to be cold out there. Really freaking cold. Because growing up sometimes means leaving people behind and by the time we stand on our own two feet we're standing there alone."
- "On The Sly" - The Bamboos
- "You Always Make Me Smile - Kyle Andrews
- "Look Alive" - Wait.Think.Fast
- "Head On Your Heart" - Mat Kearney
This episodes' title references the song Almost Grown, originally sung by Chuck Berry