"An Honest Mistake" is the sixteenth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 94th produced episode of the series. It is also the 119th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on February 19, 2009.
Derek's confidence is shaken like never before as he faces off with Addison over what course is best for their dying pregnant patient while trying to amend a mistake he made in a patient's surgery. Bailey is far from impressed by the Chief's far from stellar recommendation letter. Izzie makes a devestating realization when she learns of an intern's mistake with a patient. Cristina calls the abilities of a renowned surgeon into question after she botches a standard procedure.
- "There's this thing that happens when people find out you're a doctor, they stop seeing you as a person and begin seeing you as something bigger than you are. They have to see us that way, like gods, otherwise we're just like everyone else; unsure, flawed, normal. So we act strong, we remain stoic, we hide the fact that we're all too human."
- "Patients see us as gods or they see us as monsters but the fact is we're just people. We screw up, we lose our way. Even the best of us have our off days. Still we move forward. We don't rest our laurels or celebrate the lives we've saved in the past because there's always some other patient that needs our help. So we force ourselves to keep trying, to keep learning in the hope that maybe, someday, we'll come just a little bit closer to the gods our patients need us to be."
- "Turn The Pages" - Matt Hires
- "Error Error" - Dash And Will
- "Twice" - Little Dragon
- "Like A Ghost" - Calahan
- "The Planets Bend Between Us" - Snow Patrol
This episodes' title references the song An Honest Mistake, originally sung by The Bravery