"Bad Blood" is the thirteenth episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 185th produced episode of the series. It is also the 296th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on January 31, 2012.
The doctors are put to the test when Cahill's new protocols to improve physician efficiency are put in place, while Owen tries to reinvigorate Cahill's interest in medicine, and Derek and April work tirelessly in order to find a way to save the E.R from imminent closure. Meanwhile, Richard objects when he, Meredith and Bailey are instructed to change the way they perform a standard procedure. Arizona is forced to deal with her own issues regarding her amputation when dealing with a patient who underwent hip surgery while Cristina respect the wishes of the family of her patient, a Jehovah's Witness who can't receive a life-saving blood transfusion.
- "We've all heard the buzz words... streamline, optimize, integrate, adapt. Every day someone comes up with a new strategy or tool or technology to increase our efficiency. The idea is to make our lives easier. But the question is, does it?"
- "To really be efficient you have to eliminate what doesn't work. You have to figure out what's important and hold on tight to the things that matter most."
- "Shut Eye" - Stealing Sheep
- "Shine In The Sun" - Wild Belle
- "Come By Fire" - Sara Jackson-Holman
- "Town On Fire" - No
- "In Your Arms Again" - Josh Ritter
This episode's title originated from the song Bad Blood, originally sung by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.