"Beat Your Heart Out" is the fourteenth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 92nd produced episode of the series. It is also the 115th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on February 5, 2009.
Now that he has the engagement ring, Derek searches for the perfect way to propose to Meredith while Owen and Cristina's relationship goes from strenght to strenght until a face from his past arrives in the hospital. A case with Virginia Dixon makes Bailey consider a new direction for her medical career. Izzie finds a way to teach the interns as she tries to diagnose herself and Lexie pushes for Mark go public with their relationship.
- "Any first year med student knows that an increased heart rate is a sign of trouble. A racing heart could indicate anything from a panic disorder to something much, much more serious. A heart that flutters or one that skips a beat could be a sign of a secret affliction or it could indicate romance which is the biggest trouble of all."
- "It seems we have no control whatsoever over our own hearts. Conditions can change without warning. Romance can make the heart pound, just like panic can. And panic can make it stop cold in your chest. It's no wonder doctors spent so much time trying to keep the heart stable; keep it slow, steady, regular. To stop the heart from pounding out of your chest from the dread of something terrible or the anticipation or something else entirely."
- "Birds" - Nikki Costa
- "Panda Transport" - Transmission
- "These Streets" - Trolle//Siebenhaar
- "Re:Stacks" - Bon Iver
- "Halo" - Kate Havnevik
- "Never Want To Say It's Love" - Dido
This episodes' title references the song Beat Your Heart Out, originally sung by The Distillers