"Beautiful Doom" is the fifth episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 177th produced episode of the series. It is also the 279th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 8, 2012.
As Meredith tries to balance the pressures of being a mother and a career woman, she is taken aback when she comes across an accident that forces her memories of the crash to resurface and is forced to try to care for her daughter while dealing with her residual grief over Lexie's death. Elsewhere, Cristina proves her loyalty to Thomas when she assists him with a risky surgery in a bid to prove his worth to the hospital, unaware that the procedure stands to change both of their lives forever. The two friends try to support each other from a distance as they deal with both the professional pressures mounting, and their scars from the crash looming.
- "Sometimes things are simply out of your control. You can't change them, you can't bend them to your will. It doesn't matter if you're already 45 minutes late. If you hair isn't brushed and you haven't fixed breakfast and you're haemorrhaging brain cells by the second while you sit her, dying. Dying inside."
- "Passanger" - Daniel Elsworth & The Great Lakes
- "Australia" - Connor Youngblood
- "Ghosts" - On An On
- "Flowers Turn To Fire" - O+S
- "Gold" - Wake Owl
This episode's title originated from the song Beautiful Doom, originally sung by Adam Ezra.
- Although creditited, Jessica Capshaw (Arizona) does not appear in this episode.
- This episode features no closing voiceover.