"Begin The Begin" is the thirteenth episode of the second season of Grey's Anatomy and the 22nd produced episode of the series. It is also the 22nd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on January 15, 2006.
After the Cheif enforces a 80-hour-per-week work limit Meredith and Cristina are forced to take time off and, while Meredith wrestles with Derek and Richard's attempts to get her to allow Ellis to participate in a Alzheimers clinical trial, Cristina joins Bailey on a trip to Idaho for a heart transplant. Izzie gets a new beginning when she finally starts to get over Alex, aided by her undeniable chemistry with heart patient Denny Duquette and Addison and George treat a troubled teenager who they discover to be a hermaphrodite.
- "Fresh starts. Thanks to the calender you get one everyday. Just set your watch to January. Our reward for surviving the holiday season is a new year bringing on the great tradition of new year resolutions. Put your past behind you and start over. It's hard to resist the chance of a new beginning, a chance to put the problems of last year to bed."
- "Who gets to determine when the old ends and the new begins. It's not a day of a calender, not a birthday, not a new year. It's an event, big or small, something that changes us. Ideally it gives us hope. A new way of living and looking at the world. Letting go of old habits, old memories. What's important is that we never stop believing we can have a new beginning but it's also important to remember that amid all the crap are a few things really worth holding on too."
- "Over And Over" - The 88
- "One Of These Days" - Kraak & Smaak
- "Ride" - Cary Brothers
- "Break Your Mama's Back" - Slow Runner
This episodes' title references the song Begin The Begin, originally sung by R.E.M
- First Appearance of Denny Duquette