"Bend And Break" is the fifth episode of the eleventh season of Grey's Anatomy and the 225th produced episode of the series. It is also the 336th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on Octobter 23, 2014.
Callie and Arizona are forced to face up to the band-aids they've placed on their relationship after their plan to expand their family causes them to reassess everything they've been through as old scars from Arizona's departure, Callie's pregnancy, the plane crash and Arizona's infidelity are forced to the surface. During a 30 day trial separation, the couple find themselves reconciling who they were before they met and who they've become, both as a unity and individuals. Meanwhile, Callie continues to throw herself into her veterans project while finding a confident in Meredith while Arizona continues to try and impress Dr. Herman, while also struggling with letting Alex assume control of her pediatric practice.
- "Uncontrollable bleeding, acidosis, cold. We all know what the combination means. We call it the triad of death. The point of no return. It's the moment in the O.R when you turn to damage control. You stop, you step back, you let the body rest and see if you can find a solution for the chaos that is happening inside."
- "Once the chaos subsides we have to go back, take another look, we have to ask ourselves can this body we put back together? If we've done our jobs right, it can. We stop the bleeding. We sew up the damage. We make the body whole again. But no matter how hard we try, we have to realize somethings just can't be fixed."
- "You Know You Like It" - AlunaGeorge
- "Touch The Lightning" - Lemon Sun
- "Therapy" - Mary J Blige
This episode's title originated from the song Bend And Break, originally sung by Keane.
- Although creditited, Chandra Wilson (Bailey) and James Pickens Jr. (Richard) do not appear in this episode.