"Dark Was The Night" is the ninth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 157th produced episode of the series. It is also the 239th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 10, 2011.
After Meredith and Derek finally hear back about Zola and their future as parents, she and Alex are involved in a life-threatening situation when they travel to a neighboring hospital to tend to a sick newborn. Teddy puts her husband's life in Cristina's hands when Henry is sent to the OR for surgery and she's called away on another case but the doctors choose to keep Henry's indentity from Cristina while Callie and Jackson come under fire when their patient experiences post-surgery complications.
- "'I had a terrible day'. We say it all the time; a fight with the boss, stomach flu, traffic. That's what we describe as terrible: when nothing terrible is happening."
- "These are the things we beg for; a root canal, an IRS audit, coffee spilt on our clothes. When the really terrible things happen we start beginning to a God we don't believe in to bring back the little horrors and take away this. It seems quaint now, doesn't it? The flood in the kitchen, the poison oak, the fight that leaves you shaking with rage. Would it have helped if we could see what else was coming? Would we have known that those were the best moments of our lives."
- "That's Rock 'n' Roll" - Left Hand Smoke
- "She Went Quietly" - Charlie Winston
- "Say Goodbye (I Won't Even)" - Adaline
This episode's title originated from the song Dark Was The Night, originally sung by Blind Willie Johnson.