"Flight" is the twenty-fourth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 172nd produced episode of the series. It is also the 270th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on May 17, 2012.
In the wake of a deadly plane crash Meredith, Cristina, Derek, Lexie, Arizona and Mark are tested the doctors are pushed to the limits as the lives of their friends and colleagues lie in their hands. Meanwhile, Richard plans a special dinner for the residents but Alex, Jackson and April all have their own reasons for not wanting to celebrate the end of their residency and Teddy recieves an offer that sends her on a collision course with Owen.
- "The years we spend as surgical residents will be the best and worst of our lives. We will be pushed to our breaking point. This is the starting line, this is our arena. How well we play? That's up to us."
- "Featherstone" - The Paper Kites
This episode's title originated from the song Flight, originally sung by Sutton Foster.
- This episode features no opening voiceover, but instead replays Webber's introductory speech from "A Hard Day's Night" over the opening sequence.
- The episode's title directly relates to the first episode of the season, "Free Falling"
- This is the last episode to credit Chyler Leigh and Kim Raver in a starring capacity.