"Freedom, Part 1" is the sixteenth episode of the fourth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 77th produced episode of the series. It is also the 86th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on May 22, 2008.
Meredith strives to overcome her personal issues after making a breakthrough with Dr. Wyatt, as she faces her need to meet her mother's expectations of her, while she and Derek treat the final patients in their clinical trial. Cristina gets her surgery mojo back while Callie confronts her feelings while Izzie tries to support Alex as he cares for Rebecca, whose mental state begins to be questioned. Callie struggles to act on her feelings for Erica as Lexie learns suprising information about George's status as an intern. The surgerons band together to free a boy from a hardening block of cement.
- "My mother used to say that for a surgeron a day without death is a rare gift. Every day we face death, every day we lose life and every day we're hoping for a stay of execution. We're attatched to death, chained like prisoners. Captives."
- "Death And All His Friends - Coldplay
- "Mercy - Duffy
- "Heavy Eyes - The Rosewood Thieves
- "Dream - Priscilla Ahn
- "Giving Up - Ingrid Michaelson
This episodes' title references the song Freedom, originally sung by George Michael
- This episode features no closing voiceover.