"From A Whisper To A Scream" is the nineth episode of the third season of Grey's Anatomy and the 45th produced episode of the series. It is also the 45th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 23, 2006.
The aftermath of a traumatic car accident fills the E.R. with casualties and Cristina has a crisis of conscience about her deceptive teamwork with Burke when two emergency surgeries bring their situation to a head when Bailey, George and Meredith all become entwined in their lies. An increasingly concerned George grows suspicious of Burke and Cristina and enlists Erica Hahn to perform his father's cardiothoracic surgery while Izzie pushes the boundaries of her probation. Richard makes a suprising announcement and Alex is forced to reconsider his medical specialty when he works with Addison and Mark.
- "As doctors we know everybody's secrets. Their medical histories, sexual histories. Confidential information that is as essential to a surgeron as a ten-blade, and every bit as dangerous. We keep secrets, we have to. But not all secrets can be kept."
- "In some ways betrayal is inevitable. When our bodies betray is surgery is often the key to recovery. When we betray eachother- when we betray eachother the path to recovery is less clear. We do whatever it takes to rebuild the trust that was lost. And then there are some wounds, some betrayals, that are so deep, so profound that there is no way to repair what was lost. And when that happens there's nothing left to do but wait."
- "You And I Are A Gang Of Losers" - The Dears
- "9 Crimes" - Damien Rice
- "New Day" - Kate Havnevik
This episodes' title references the album From A Whisper To A Scream, originally sung by Social Code
- Cristina narrates the voiceover for episode.