"Going, Going, Gone" is the first episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 173rd produced episode of the series. It is also the 272nd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on September 27, 2012.
Three months after the deadly plane crash, the doctors struggle with the impending loss of yet another of their own while Meredith takes her frustrations out on the newest class of interns. Alex prepares to leave for Hopkins while Cristina finds her new hospital's attitude a drastic change from the competitive world she was raised in. While dealing with her own fallout from the crash, Callie tries to help Derek through his recovery while Bailey learns that she's has a new nickname amongst the intern that's a far cry from her days as The Nazi.
- "Dying changes everything. There's the emotional fallout, sure, but there's also the practical stuff. Who's going to do your job? Who's going to take care of your family? The only good thing for you is you don't have to worry about it. People you never knew will be living in your house, working your job. The world just keeps on going without you..."
- "They say death is hardest on the living. It's tough to actually say goodbye. Sometimes it's impossible. You never really stop feeling the loss. It's what makes things so bitter-sweet. We leave little bits of ourselves behind, little reminds, a lifetime of memories, photos, trinkets. Things to remember us by when we're gone"
- "Portions For Foxes" - Rilo Kiley
- "Body Of Work" - The Myrnabirds
- "My Heart Goes Boom" - Miss Li
- "My Oh My" - Tristain Prettyman
- "Feels Like The End" - Mikky Ekko
- "Without You" - One Two
- "Into You" - Ingrid Michaelson
This episode's title originated from the song Going, Going, Gone, originally sung by Bob Dylan.