"Good Mourning" is the first episode of the sixth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 103rd produced episode of the series. It is also the 134th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on September 24, 2009.
The hospital staff is left to deal with the aftermath of George's passing. Hitting the staff hard, they all find unique ways to get through the various stages of grief as Izzie recuperates from her near-death experience. Callie and Izzie are forced to decide what to do with George's organs while Meredith and the rest of the staff try to continue living. the Cheif must deal with a devestating blow to his career while Derek considers a job offer.
- "According to Elizabeth Kubler Ross when we are dying or have suffered a catastrophic loss, we all move through five distinct stages of grief. We go into denial because the loss is so unthinkable; we can't imagine it's true. We become angry with everyone; angry with survivors, angry with ourselves. Then we bargain. We beg, we plead, we offer everything we have, we offer our souls in exchange for just one more day. When the bargaining has failed and the anger is too hard to maintain we fall into depression, despair, until finally we have to accept that we have done everything we can. We let go, we let go and move into acceptance."
- "In medical school we have a hundred classes that teach us how to fight off death, and not one lesson in how to go on living."
- "Sweet Honey In The Rock" - Wade In The Water
- "The Fox" - O+S
- "Speaking A Dead Language" - Joy Williams
- "This Sweet Love" - James Yuill
This episodes' title references the album Good Mourning, originally sung by Alkaline Trio