"Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" is the twelfth episode of the second season of Grey's Anatomy and the 21st produced episode of the series. It is also the 21st produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on December 11, 2005.
The holiday season dawns but not everyone is in a festive mood. Alex faces his last day in the hospital unless he passes his boards practical exam the next day, thus everyone helps him to so that he succeeds leaving Izzie feeling berayed and forcing Meredith of remind her of the true spirit of the Christmas holiday. A young boy needs a heart transplant but doesn't seem to want it, and an argument over his treatment exposes major philosophical differences between Burke and Cristina and despite a reconciliation with his wife, Derek isn't in a festive mood.
- "It's an urban myth that suicide rates spike at the holidays. It turns out they actually go down. Experts think it's because people are less inclined to off themselves when surrounded by family. Ironically that same family togetherness is thought to be the reason why depression rates actually do spike at the holidays. Yeah, ok, Izzie doesn't count."
- "There's an old proverb that says you can't choose your family. You take what the fates hand you and, like them or not, love them or not, understand them or not, you cope. Then there's the school of thought that says the family you're born into is simply a starting point. They feed you and clothe you and take care of you until you're ready to go out into the world and find your tribe."
- "The Christmas Song" - Nat King Cole
- "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" - Lou Rawls
- "This Christmastime " - Mascott
- "Back Door Santa" - Jet
- "Christmas After All" - Maria Taylor
- "Here Comes Your Ride" - Holidays On Ice
- "Latke Clan " - The LeeVees
- "Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming" - Catie Curtis
- "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" - Sixpence None The Richer
This episodes' title references the song Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, a popular Christmas carol originally sung by Elmo & Patsy
- This episode is the second holiday themed episode of Grey's Anatomy.