"Heart-Shaped Box" is the eighth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 156th produced episode of the series. It is also the 237th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 3, 2011.
Meredith and Bailey treat George's mother making them both remember their former colleague while Callie struggles with telling her former mother in law about her new lifestyle. Arizona starts to support a new pediatric fellow, making Alex feel threatened while Teddy and Henry get into their first fight when he reveals his desire to go to medical school. Cristina becomes inspired after witnessing a heart beating outside of the body while Jackson and Lexie's future hangs in the balance.
- "Say you're in the O.R, repairing a vena cava when suddenly everything goes to hell. So you cut this, suture that, and soon that crappy situation is a thing of the past. To bad you can't meet all of life's challenges with a surgical scalpel. I mean, you could try, but I'm pretty sure that would be considered assault."
- "It's a little bit horrifying just how quickly everything can fall to crap. Sometimes it takes a huge loss to remind you of what you care about the most. Sometimes you find yourself become strong as a result, wiser, better equipt to deal with the next disaster that comes along. Sometimes, but not always."
- "Shoot Me" - Miss Li
- "Hold On" - MoZella
- "How Come You Never Go There" - Fiest
- "I Can't Get You Off My Mind" - Miss Li
- "Where Do I Even Start?" - Morgan Taylor Reed
- "Addicted" - Morgan Page feat. Greg Laswell
- "Looking For You Again" - Matthew Perryman Jones
This episode's title originated from the song Heart-Shaped Box, originally sung by Nirvana.