"Here's To Future Days" is the twenty-third episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 101st produced episode of the series. It is also the 132nd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on May 14, 2009.
Izzie spends time with a fellow cancer patient and contemplates whether or not to undergo a risky surgery while Alex, Meredith and Cristina each try to advise her to take the course of treatment they think is best. Meanwhile, treating a young solider prompts Owen and George to reasess their futures at the hospital. Arizona is forced to fight back when the Chief tries to lure Bailey back to general surgery while Mark tries to move forward in his relationship with a reluctant Lexie.
- "When something begins you generally have no idea how it's going to end. The house you were going to sell becomes your home. The roommates you were forced to take in become your family. And the one night stand you were determined to forget becomes the love of your life.
- "We spend our whole lives worrying about the future. Planning for the future. Trying to predict the future as if figuring it out will somehow cushion the blow. But the future is always changing. The future is the home of our deepest fears and our wildest hopes. But one thing is certain; when it finally reveals itself the future is never the way we imagined it."
- "Charmed Life" - Joy Williams
- "Where The Road Meets The Sun" - Katie Herzig feat. Matthew Perryman Jones
- "Hold On To Me" - Sugarplum Fairies
This episodes' title references the album Here's To Future Days, originally sung by Thompson Twins
- Last Appearance of Denny Duquette
- A working title for this episode was Here's To The Future