"Hope For The Hopeless" is the twelfth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 160th produced episode of the series. It is also the 247th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on January 19, 2012.
Richard celebrates his 10,000th surgery, a liver transplant on a pait or squabbling sisters, but his day shifts dramatically when Adele arrives at the hospital, lost and alone. Meredith struggles to choose a speciality and begins to feel the pressure of her mother's legacy while Derek and Lexie operate on a previously inoperable neuroblastoma. Cristina tries to help Teddy deal with her grief by assiting surgery after surgery but, when they steal a patient from Alex, both Cristina and Teddy's connections to Owen become even more frayed.
- "'There's nothing else we can do for you'. These are the last words a surgeron wants to tell a patient. Giving up doesn't come easy to us so we do everything in our power not to. For surgerons, lost cause just means try a little harder."
- "When do you throw in the towel? Admit that a lost cause is just that? There comes a point when it all becomes too much. When we get too tired to fight anymore so we give up. That's when the real work begins, to find hope where there seems to be absolutly none at all"
- "Rock It" - Little Red
- "Good Intent" - Kimbra
- "Afternoon" - Youth Lagoon
- "Black Sheep" - Gin Wigmore
- "Easy To Love" - The Jezebels
This episode's title originated from the song Hope For The Hopeless, originally sung by A Fine Frenzy.