"I Am A Tree" is the second episode of the third season of Grey's Anatomy and the 38th produced episode of the series. It is also the 38th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on September 28, 2006.
The interns continue to rally behind Izzie and try to persuade Bailey to help her get her place in the internship programme back but a reluctant Bailey continues to cope with her anger and takes it out on the remaining interns. Meredith tries to decide between Derek and Finn while Addison takes the day off from her surgical duties when it seems that her marriage has reached it's end. A pair of panties on the Lost and Found board causes trouble between Callie and George while Cristina has an awkward encounter with a recovering Burke's parents.
- "At any given moment the brain had fourteen billion neurons firing at a speed of four-hundred and fifty miles per hour. We don't have control over most of them. When we get a chill, goosebumps. When we get excited, adrenaline. The body naturally follows its impulses which I think it's part of what makes it so hard for us to control ours. Then again sometimes we have impulses we would rather not control that we later wish we had."
- "The body is a slave to its impulses but the thing that makes is human is what we can control. After the storm, after the rush, after the heat of the moment has past we can cool off and clean up the messes we've made. We can try to let go of what was. And then again..."
- "The Time Is Now" - Moloko
- "Crashing Down" - Mat Kearney
- "Theme From Chalets" - The Chalets
- "The Mating Game" - Bitter:Sweet
- "Running On Sunshine" - Jesus Jackson
- "Open Your Eyes" - Snow Patrol
This episodes' title references the album I Am A Tree, originally sung by Guided By Voices