"Idle Hands" is the eighteenth episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 190th produced episode of the series. It is also the 301st produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 21, 2013.
With the hospital reopening as Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, positive changes under the new doctor-led management begin to be felt as the board members begin to question whether they made the right choices in choosing a brand for their hospital. Meanwhile, the reopening of the hospital's E.R excites Owen and the interns while Meredith begins to fear the worst about her pregnancy, much to Derek's dismay. Cristina faces an unexpected consequence of owning a hospital when it begins to interfere with her ambition while Arizona and Callie try to reinvigorate their love life. Elsewhere, April begins to have doubts about her decision to lie to her boyfriend about her virginity and Alex's patient helps him get even with Jo's new boyfriend.
- "Work keeps our minds active, it keeps us out of trouble. When we're not working our hands are idle and the devil will find work for idle hands to do. And when you have an idle mind, well, that's the devil's playground too."
- "At first idleness can seem like a welcome distraction, the troublemaking and fun. Everyone needs some idle time to focus on something other than their work even if it means focusing on something that's a little bit scary. Stepping back from work is the only way to get perspective. And it's only after we have everything in perspective that we remember where our hands truly belong."
- "Hey Love" - Quadron
- "Open Letter" - The Helio Sequence
- "Big Light" - Houses
- "Hollow Drum" - Laura Welsh
- "Shadow Of A Man" - Neulore
This episode's title originated from the song Idle Hands, originally sung by Stone Sour.