"If/Then" is the thirteenth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 161st produced episode of the series. It is also the 249th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on February 2, 2012.
Meredith dreams of a world where mother never had Alzhiemers and a happy and shiny Meredith Grey and her bright and shiny life has severe repurcussions on the doctors. What if Ellis was the Chief instead of her husband, Richard? What if, without Meredith to come between them, Derek never seperated for Addison? What if Bailey never evolved from the meek intern she was? What if Callie and Owen's found eachother instead of their soulmates Cristina and Arizona? What if?
- "The baby you have is the baby you were destined to have. It's meant to be, that's what all the adoption people tell you. Anyway, I'd like to think it's true but everything else in the world seems completely random. What if one little thing I said or did could have made it all fall apart? What if I'd chosen another life for myself, or another person. We might have never found each other. What if I'd been raised differently? What if my mother had never been sick? What if I'd actually had a good father? What if? What if? What if?"
- "Your life is a gift; accept it, no matter how screwed up or painful it seems to be. You can wish you were someone else, you can hope that things will change. You can even force them to change. Some things are going to work out as if they were destined to happen, as if they were just meant to be"
- "Portions For Foxes" - Rilo Kiley
- "Ruby Blue" - Roisin Murphy
- "Flowers Bloom" - High Highs
- "Girl, You Shout" - Dressy Bessy
- "Fools In Love" - Inara George
- "Into The Fire" - Thirteen Senses
- "You Wouldn't Like Me" - Tegan & Sara
This episode's title originated from the song If/Then, originally sung by Ras Kass.
- Although credited Kim Raver (Teddy) does not appear in this episode
- Most of the music featured in the episode has appeared previously in the series
- Portions for Foxes appeared in "A Hard Day's Night" when Meredith leaves her house for her first day of residency
- Ruby Blue appeared in "Make Me Lose Control" when Cristina suffered a miscarriage.
- Fools In Love appeared in "Make Me Lose Control"
- Into The Fire appeared in "A Hard Day's Night"
- You Wouldn't Like Me appeared in "The First Cut Is The Deepest"