"In The Midnight Hour" is the ninth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 87th produced episode of the series. It is also the 102nd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 20, 2008.
The interns attempts to teach themselves leads to Sadie suggesting the others remove her appendix but, when the routine surgery goes horribly wrong Bailey, Meredith and Cristina must come to Lexie's aid to save Sadie's life. Owen acts on his feelings for Cristina while Izzie's visions of Denny become more persistent putting a strain on her relationship with Alex. Owen and Derek treat a man seriously injured while sleepwalking and Mark comforts the sleepwalker's distraught daughter.
- "When you're little nighttime is scary because there are monsters hiding right under the bed. When you get older the monsters are different: self-doubt, loneliness, regret. And though you may be older and wiser, you still find yourself afraid of the dark."
- "Sleep. It's the easiest thing to do. You just close your eyes. But for so many of us sleep seems out of our grasp. We want it but we don't know how to get it. But once we face our demons, face our fears, and turn to eachother for help nightime isn't so scary because we realize we aren't all alone in the dark."
- "Boys With Girlfriends" - Meiko
- "Quiet Times" - Dido
- "No Time To Sleep" - Tina Dico
- "Ocean And A Rock" - Lisa Hannigan
- "Ordinary Girl" - Waz
This episodes' title references the song In The Midnight Hour, originally sung by Wilson Pickett