"It's A Long Way Back" is the nineteenth episode of the seventh season of Grey's Anatomy and the 145th produced episode of the series. It is also the 217th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on April 28, 2011.
Everyone pulls together to help Callie and baby Sofia on their painstaking journeys to recovery in hopes of allowing mother and baby to finally meet. The sudden death of their clinical trial patient allows Adele to be admitted into Meredith and Derek's clinical trial but when Meredith learns how fast her condition is progression she makes a risky and calculated move while Alex organizes an elaborate plan to bring Arizona's African patients to Seattle to give him an egde in the race for Chief Resident.
- "After a trauma your body is at it's most vulnerable. Responce time is critical so you're suddenly surrounded by people; doctors, nurses, specialists, technicians. Surgery is a team sport with everyone pushing for the finish line, putting you back together again. But surgery is a trauma in and of itself and once it's over the real healing begins. We call it the recovery. Recovery is not a team sport, it's a solitary distance run. It's long, it's exhausting and it's lonely as hell."
- "The lenght of your recovery is detemined by the extent of your injuries. And it's not always sucsessful no matter how hard we work at it. Some wounds might never fully heal. You might have to adjust to a whole new way of livings, things may have changed too radically to ever go back to what they were. You might not even recognise yourself. It's like you havn't recovered anything at all. You're a whole new person with a whole new life"
- "Slow Motion" - Little Red
- "These Broken Hands of Mine" - Joe Brooks
- "Neighbors" - Now Now
- "Love You Strongly" - Amy Stroup
- "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" - The National
This episodes' title references the song It's A Long Way Back, originally sung by The Ramones