"Life During Wartime" is the sixth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 84th produced episode of the series. It is also the 97th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on October 30, 2008.
Owen Hunt returns to Seattle Grace as the new trauma attending and, as he tests the skills of the residents and attendings, his techniques cause issues from the staff while Cristina is thrown by his presence in the hospital. Meanwhile, Richard gives Bailey very difficult surgical assignment: removing an inoperable tumour and she, Erica and Meredith are put to task to save the patient. Lexie struggles to hide her anger at George and Izzie and Alex's relationship gets off to an unsteady start.
- "For a surgeron every patient is a battlefield. They're out terrain where we advance, retreat, try to remove all the landmines. And just when you think you've won the battle, made the world safe again, along comes another landmine."
- "Some wars result in complete and total victory. Some wars end in a peace offering. Some wars end in hope. But all these wars are nothing compared to most frightening war of all: the one you have yet to fight."
- "Walcott" - Vampire Weekend
- "Days Go On" - Greg Laswell
- "From The Valley To The Stars" - El Perro Del Mar
- "Prelude" - Raining Jane
This episodes' title references the song Life During Wartime, originally sung by Talking Heads