"Love, Loss & Legacy" is the fifth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 153rd produced episode of the series. It is also the 231st produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on October 13, 2011.
Jackson's mother, Catherine Avery, comes to Seattle Grace for a groundbreaking transplant surgery while Alex, Cristina and Arizona are faced with a dillema when Zola returns to the hospital after suffering a seizure and confidentiality laws prevent them from telling Meredith and Derek. Now the happy couple, Teddy and Henry throw a dinner party for the couples of Seattle Grace and Bailey makes a choice about the future of her love life.
- "The human body is designed to compensate for loss. It adapts so it no longer needs the thing it can't have. But sometimes the loss is too great and the body can't compensate on it's own. That's when surgeons get involved."
- "We're so hopeful at the beginning of things that it seems like there's only a world to be gained, not lost. They say the inability to accept loss is a form of insanity. It's probably true but sometimes its the only way to stay alive."
- "Anybody's Ghost" - The National
- "Abducted" - Cults
- "Hit It" - Miss Li
- "Echoes" - Mostar Diving Club
- "Chameleon/Comedian" - Kathleen Edwards
This episode's title originated from the song Love, Loss & Legacy, originally sung by Kelly Minter.
- This episode featured cameo appearances by Cougar Town actor Ian Gomez. The actor appeared as part of the series' attempts to put their stars in cameo roles in as many Fall series' as possible as a consequence of Cougar Town's third season airing mid-season. Another cameo occured in the Private Practice episode "Step One"