"Love Turns You Upside Down" is the eighth episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 180th produced episode of the series. It is also the 286th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on December 6, 2012.
The newest set of interns at Seattle Grace Mercy West find themselves entwined in the emotional and professional toils of their superiors as they adjust to the competitive nature of surgery. Meredith enlists Heather to help find a way to save Derek's hand, which leaves her feeling caught between their conflict on the matter. April teaches Shane and important lesson during lumps and bumps duty while competition arises between Cristina's interns. Elsewhere, Alex begins to see Jo in a different light when a case involving a teenage mother brings out a different side of her.
- "Most people hate hospitals, but not the interns. For them the hospital is a magic place. It's poetic. The rhythm of the machines, the crackle of a trauma gown. It's a face full of promise, excitement, surprises. It's a place where dreams can come true."
- "They don't have to be harps playing, or birds singing,or rose petals falling fro the sky. And there are defiantly days when the romance is dead but, if you look around, things are pretty amazing. So stop for a second, enjoy the beauty, feel the magic, drink it in cos it won't last forever. The romance will fade, things will happen, people will change, love will die. But maybe not today"
- "Something All Our Own" - Broadheads
- "Knock You Out (Owen Westlake Remix)" - Tiesto feat. Emily Haines
- "Nothing That I Care About" - Broadheads
- "Santa Fe" - Beirut
This episode's title originated from the song Love Turns You Upside Down, originally sung by Edwin Moses.