"New History" is the ninth episode of the sixth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 111th produced episode of the series. It is also the 148th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 12, 2009.
Owen recruits Teddy Altman, a cardio goddess, to join the ranks of Seattle Grace but Cristina soon begins to doubt her surgical abilities and the nature of her past relationship with Owen. Meredith returns to the hospital for the first time since the merger and is daunted by the surgical competition that awaits her while Izzie returns to Seattle Grace with her high school mentor seeking treatment and is forced to come face to face with Alex while the effects of Richard's responsiblities post-merger begin to take it's toll on him.
- "Doctors live in a world of constant progress and forward motion. Stand still for a moment and you'll be left behind. But as hard as we try to move forward, as tempting as it is to never look back, the past always comes back to bite us in the ass. And as history shows us again and again, those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."
- "Sometimes the past is something you just can't let go of, and sometimes the past is something we'll do anything to forget. And sometimes we learn something new about the past, that changes everything we know about the present."
- "Sunny Day" - Joy Williams
- "Vertical Rhythm" - The Gossip
- "End Of All Time" - Stars Of Track And Field
- "In Spite Of Me" - Greg Laswell
- "Poison And Wine" - The Civil Wars
This episodes' title references the song New History, originally sung by Verbow
- This episode marks the first appearance of Teddy Altman