"One Step Too Far" is the seventeenth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 165th produced episode of the series. It is also the 257th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 15, 2012.
As her suspicions continue to get the better of her, Cristina is forced to work on a case with the woman she suspects of sleeping with her husband, forcing her and Owen's issues to the surface. Derek tries to encourage Meredith to rejoin him on a neuro case but an unexpected turn of events threats their happiness and Lexie's career. Alex tries to deny the attraction between him and Morgan and the return of Catherine Avery forces Richard to realize the effect Adele's condition is having on him while Jackson form a bond with his mother's protege when he helps her stand up for herself.
- "We're trained to be vigilant, to chase down the problem, to ask all the right questions, to find the root cause until we know exactly what it is and we can confront it. It takes an extreme amount of caution or we can overstep ourselves, we can create problems were none exist"
- "Our intentions are always pure, we always want to do what's right, but we also have the drive to push boundaries so we're in danger of taking things too far. We're told to do no harm while we're trained to cut you open with a knife. So we do things that we should have left well enough alone because it's hard to admit when there's no problem to treat, to let it alone, before we make it so much worse. Before we cause such terrible damage..."
- "Stone In My Heart" - Graffiti6
- "Shuffle A Dream" - Little Dragon
- "This Man" - Graffiti6
- "No Way" - The Naked And Famous
- "Lick The Palm Of The Burning Handshake" - Zola Jesus
This episode's title originated from the song One Step Too Far, originally sung by Dido.