"Perfect Storm" is the twenty-forth episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 196th produced episode of the series. It is also the 307th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on May 16, 2013.
The storm is coming and the damage to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital may be irreversible as a power outage forces the doctors to be innovative in the O.Rs, the ER and in the NICU. Meredith's labour proves to be more complex than initially anticipated and, as the doctors try to perform a C-section in the dark, complications force Bailey back into the O.R to save Meredith's life. Meanwhile, Arizona attempts to deal with the consequences of her betrayal of Callie while Alex prepares to tell Jo how he feels. Meanwhile, the storm forces April to reconsider her engagement in the face of her feelings for Jackson while a surgery with Webber forces Cristina to come to a realization about her future with Owen.
- "I had this bad-ass professor in med school. She seemed invinsible, then one day she needed her gall bladder out and the surgery killed her. Her platlets stopped clotting, she bled out on the table. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. Surgeons have a name for it. We call it a perfect storm. Funny, I never thought it would happen to me"
- "There's an end to every storm. Once all the trees have been uprooted, once all the houses have been ripped apart... the wind will hush, the clouds will part, the rain will stop. The sky will clear in an instant and only then, in those quiet moments after the storm, do we learn who was strong enough to survive it."
- "Without You" - Ingrid Michaelson
- "All Of Me" - John Legend
- "Freight Train" - Sara Jackson-Holman
This episode's title originated from the song Perfect Storm, originally sung by UNKLE.