"Rise Up" is the seventh episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 85th produced episode of the series. It is also the 99th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 6, 2008.
Izzie begins to feel haunted by her past when she man she stole the heart from for Denny years ago arrives in the hospital needing treatment while Erica is stunned to learn of the connection between her patient and her resident and reacts adversley. Meanwhile, the Chief announces that one of the residents will soon be performing the first solo surgery prompting a competitive frenzy. Lexie strives to find alternative ways to learn and Derek enlists Mark to help stop Cristina coming between him and Meredith.
- "If you're a normal person one of the few things you can count on is death. But if you're a surgeron even that comfort is taken away from you. Surgerons cheat death. We prolong it, we deny it. We stand and definatly give death the finger."
- "We're born, we live, we die; sometimes not nessesarily in that order. We put things to rest, only to have them rise up again. So if death is not the end what can you count on anymore? Because you sure can't count on anything in life. Life is the most fragile, unstable, unpredictable thing there is. In fact there's only one thing about life we can be sure of: it ain't over til it's over."
- "I Want That" - Psapp
- "Good Times" - Brazillian Girls
- "Torch Song" - Shady Bard
- "Gotta Figure This Out" - Erin McCarley
This episodes' title references the song Rise Up, originally sung by Yves Larock