"Risk" is the eighth episode of the eleventh season of Grey's Anatomy and the 228th produced episode of the series. It is also the 339th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 20, 2014.
When Meredith and Maggie disagree with Derek over the correct course of treatment for a patient, it bring matters between Meredith and Derek to a head as they are forced to face the issues in their marriage head on, an issue exacerbated when the President continues to try and lure Derek back to the brain mapping initiative, while Richard finds his attempts to give Maggie space further complicated by Meredith and Derek. Meanwhile, Arizona grows increasingly concerned about Herman's ability to operate and strives to discover more about her prognosis, bringing Amelia into the fold, while Jo confronts Alex about his commitment to their relationship. Callie worries she's pushing her veterans too far when a friendly competition has dire consequences for her patient and Stephanie finds herself in too deep when a routine ultrasound uncovers a devastating diagnosis for April and Jackson's child.
- "Nobody's memory is perfect or complete. We jumble things up, we lose track of time, we're in one place then another and it all feels like one long, inescapable moment. It's just like my mother used to say; the carousel never stops turning."
- "Nobody's memory is perfect or complete. We jumble things up, we lose track of time, we're in one place then another and it all feels like one long, inescapable moment. So what does it mean? What do we take away? Which pieces will haunt us? Hurt us? End us? Inspire us? It's just like my mother used to say; the carousel never stops turning. You can't get off."
- "Deeper" - Ella Ayre
- "Home" - Aron Wright
- "Run" - Marsha Ambrosius
This episode's title originated from the song Risk, originally sung by Deftones.
- At the episodes end, Meredith flashes back to many previous moments in her life including;
- Ellis crying at the carousel, and Richard leaving her ("Time Has Come Today") ("I Must Have Lost It On The Wind") ("Only Mama Knows")
- Meeting Derek after their one night stand ("A Hard Day's Night")
- Arguing with Derek after he turned down moving to D.C ("Only Mama Knows")
- Richard confessing his jealousy of Ellis. ("Only Mama Knows")
- Cristina's parting words before her departure ("Fear (Of The Unknown)")
- Meredith with the rest of the interns on their first day ("A Hard Day's Night")
- Being in the O.R during the bomb scare ("It's The End Of The World")
- Standing in front of Cristina's failed wedding ceremomy ("Didn't We Almost Have It All?")
- Drowning during the ferry crash ("Drowning On Dry Land")
- Watching Derek being shot during the shooting ("Sanctuary")
- Surviving the plane crash ("Flight")
- Standing among the candles are reuniting with Derek ("Dream A Little Dream Of Me, Part 1")
- Watching Cristina leave Seattle ("Fear (Of The Unknown)")