"Second Choices" is the twentieth episode of the third season of Private Practice and the 51st produced episode of the series. It is also the 172nd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on April 22, 2010.
After her open-ended escape to Costa Rica, Violet finally returns home and to the practice. Everyone treads a little lightly around her, especially Pete and Addison who have mixed feelings about Violet's desire to reconnect with Lucas. Meanwhile Amelia butts into Sam's personal life, pointing out that he can mend hearts in the OR but can't seem to do that for himself. Sheldon encourages Charlotte to reconcile with Cooper, while Cooper deals with a young patient who eats everything in sight.
- "There's No Way" - Sam Bisbee
- "Silver Lining" - Oh Ruin
- "Getting By" - The Robotanists
- "And The Birds Sing" - Tyrone Wells
- Although creditited, Audra McDonald (Naomi) and Chris Lowell (Dell) do not appear in this episode.
- This episode aired at a different timeslot to the rest of the third season, airing an hour earlier at 9/8c (the usual time slot occupied by Grey's Anatomy which didn't air) rather than Private Practice's usual 10/9c slot. This was done as a rating experiment to see if Private Practice would serve better as a lead into Grey's Anatomy, and not vice versa.