"Shake Your Groove Thing" is the fifth episode of the first season of Grey's Anatomy and the 5th produced episode of the series. It is also the 5th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on April 24, 2005.
Meredith realizes that she must take on a lot more responsibility in her personal life when she is told that her mother needs to sign over all of her assets to her, and in her professional life when she fears she made a grave mistake during her first heart surgery. Izzie's commitment to her job is questioned when her boyfriend makes a visit to Seattle and Cristina bonds with Burke.
- "Remember when you were a kid and your biggest worry was, like, if you'd get a bike for your birthday or if you'd get cookies for breakfast. Being an adult, totally overrated. I mean seriously don't be fooled by the hot shoes and the great sex and the no parents anywhere telling you what to do. Adulthood is responsibility. Responsibility, it really does suck. Really, really sucks. Adults have to be places and do things and earn a living and pay the rent. And if you're training to be aa surgeron, holding a human heart in your hands- hello, talk about responsibility. Kind of makes bikes and cookies look really, really good doesn't it. The scariest part about responsibility: when you screw up and let it slip right through your fingers."
- "Unfortunatly when you get past the age of braces and training bras responsibility doesn't go away. It can't be avoided. Either someone makes us face it or we suffer the consequences. And still, adulthood has it's perks. I mean the shoes, the sex, the no parents anywhere telling you what to do. That's pretty damn good."
- "Wake Up" - The Ditty Bops
- "Tiger, My Friend" - Psapp
- "Money Girl (She's Expensive)" - Dee
- "Evil" - Interpol
- "Edge of the Ocean" - Ivy
- "Sparkle Me" - Buffseeds
This episodes' title references the song Shake Your Groove Thing, originally sung by Peaches & Herb