"Shiny Happy People" is the twenty-second episode of the sixth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 124th produced episode of the series. It is also the 177th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on May 13, 2010.
An elderly patient admitted into the E.R. for a heart condition sees a familiar face, a long lost love who happens to be in the E.R. as well for a fractured arm, and the staff find themselves caught up in their love story. Meredith makes a discovery which makes her question Owen's feelings for Cristina and Teddy and she confesses her suspicions which inevitably messes with Cristina's head. Alex treats a troubled teenage patient whose parents believe she has schizophrenia while Lexie finds herself conflicted about her feelings for Alex and Mark when one of Mark's trysts becomes public knowledge.
- "It's a common belief that postive thinking leads to a happier, healthier life. As children we're told to smile and be cheerful; put on a happy face. As adults we're told to look on the brightside. To make lemonade and see glasses as half full. Sometimes reality can get in the way of our ability to act the happy part though. Your health can fail, boyfriends can cheat, friends can disappoint. It's in these moments when you just want to get real, drop the act, and be your real, scared, unhappy self."
- "Ask most people what they want out of life and the answers simple: to be happy. Maybe it's this expectation though, the wanting to be happy, that keeps us from getting there. Maybe the more we try and will ourselves to a state of bliss the more confused we get to the point where we don't recognise ourselves. Instead we just keep smiling, trying like hell to be the happy people we wish we were until eventually it hits us - it's been there all along. Not in our dreams or hopes but in the known, the comfortable, the familiar."
- "Do You Fancy Me (Bluff)" - Kerry Letham
- "American Stitches" - Richard Walters
- "Shiny And Warm" - Goldfrapp
- "My Shadow" - Keane
- "Open Your Eyes" - Andrew Belle
This episodes' title references the song Shiny Happy People, originally sung by R.E.M