"Sledgehammer" is the first episode of the twelfth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 246th produced episode of the series. It is also the 357th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on September 24, 2015.
Three months later, Meredith struggles with her new living arrangements after moving back into her old house with Amelia and Maggie as, back at the hospital, Callie is forced to step up for a patient and become her advocate when the case of two young girls it by a train reveals a tragic reality while Bailey is unnerved when a candidate for the vacant Chief of Surgery position arrives at the hospital and her credentials force Bailey to question whether she has what it takes to be the Chief. Meanwhile, Arizona tries to find a new room mate and Jackson seems to be the only person not anticipating April's return from Jordan.
- "So you might be thinking I've been here before. This is familiar, this is old hat. Maybe you're wondering, why are we here? But I promise, you're about to find out that everything has changed."
- "I want you to stop and take a closer look at the body in front of you. There's nothing special about it, it's just a body, so why are you here? What's so different? What's changed? My answer is; you. The thing that has changed is you."
- "Rude Boy" - Anni Ross
- "Wrecking Ball" - Scars On 45
- "Take Me Up" - Coleman Hell
- "Try" - Tyler Ward
- "Fancy" - Tristan Prettyman
This episode's title originated from the song Sledgehammer, originally sung by Fifth Harmony.