"Sometimes A Fantasy" is the third episode of the third season of Grey's Anatomy and the 39th produced episode of the series. It is also the 39th produced episode of the Grey's Anaromy franchise. It was broadcast on October 5, 2006.
Meredith finds the juggling two suitors isn't as easy as she expected after she begins casually dating Derek and Finn. George begins to have second thoughts about his relationship with Callie during her elongated stay at Meredith's house while Cristina faces the stresses of caring for Burke as he recovers and has to take action when it seems he has given up. Addison tries to resist Mark, Alex treats a young girl who believes she has a superhero and Izzie attempts to return to the hospital for the first time since she quit the programme.
- "Surgerons usually fantasize about wild and improbable surgeries. Someone collapses in a restaraunt, you splice them open with a butter knife, replace a valve with a hollowed out stick of carrot. But every now and then some other kind of fantasy slips in. Most of our fantasies disolve when we wake, banished to the back of our minds. But sometimes we're sure, if we try hard enough, we can live the dream."
- "The fantasy is simple: pleasure is good and twice as much pleasure is better. That pain is bad and no pain is better. But the reality is different. The reality is that pain is there to tell us something and there's only so much pleasure we can take without getting a stomach ache. And maybe that's ok. Maybe some fantasies are only supposed to live in our dreams."
- "Idlewild Blues" - Outkast
- "Take What You Take" - Lily Allen
- "Dirty Mind" - The Pipettes
- "Step It Up" - The Bamboos
- "How Much It Hurts" - Just Off Turner
- "Can't Get It Right Today " - Joe Purdy
This episodes' title references the album Sometimes A Fantasy, originally sung by Billy Joel