"Stand By Me" is the eighteenth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 96th produced episode of the series. It is also the 123rd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 19, 2009.
Derek remains absent from the hospital and Bailey rallies the staff together in order to get him back to work while Richard searches for a way to help Derek finds his way when he begins to feel hospital is falling apart. Cristina is finally awarded her first solo surgery but is distracted by her concerns about Izzie's treatment, who begins to question if she wants surgery. Mark leads a radical new prcoedure and Meredith and George cope with intern drama.
- "Surgerons aren't known for being warn and cuddly. They're arrogant, impatient, mean as often as not. You'd think they wouldn't have friends because who could stand them? But surgeons are like a bad cold; nasty but persistent."
- "Practicing medicine doesn't lend itself well to the making of friends. Maybe because life and mortality are in our faces all the time. Maybe because in staring down death every day we're forced to know that life, every minute, is borrowed time. An each person we let ourselves care about is just one more loss somewhere down the line. For this reason, I know some doctors who just don't bother making friends at all. But the rest of us, we make it our job to move that line. To push each loss as far away as we can."
- "Everywhere" - Common feat. Martina Topley-Bird
- "A Mirror Without" - Royal Wood
- "Driveway" - Great Northern
This episodes' title references the song Stand By Me, originally sung by Ben E. King