"Staring At The Sun" is the eighth episode of the third season of Grey's Anatomy and the 44th produced episode of the series. It is also the 44th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 16, 2006.
After their reconciliation Derek and Meredith both try to be "bright and shiny" but Meredith's newfound positive outlook on life is questioned by the remergence of her problems with her mother. Derek and Addison strive for a civil relationship while Alex and Izzie bond over a patient who persuades Alex to make a big guesture to show Izzie how he feels. George struggles with his his father's presence in the hospital and choses Burke and Cristina to treat him, a decision he later comes to regret when he worries he grows suspicous of the two while Richard endevours to reunite with Adele.
- "Many people don't know that the human eye has a blind spot in it's field of vision. There's a part of the world that we are literally blind to. The problem is sometimes our blind spots sheild us from things that really shouldn't be ignored. Sometimes our blind spots keep our lives bright and shiny."
- "When it comes to our blind spots, maybe our brains aren't compensating. Maybe they're protecting us."
- "Not Big" - Lily Allen
- "Everybody Get Movin'" - Get Set Go
- "Time Of My Life" - The Watson Twins
- "Where We Gonna Go From Here" - Mat Kearney
- "Breakable" - Ingrid Michaelson
This episodes' title references the album Staring At The Sun, originally sung by U2