"Suddenly" is the tenth episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 158th produced episode of the series. It is also the 243rd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on January 5, 2011.
In the aftermath of the ambulance crash, Meredith treats a survivor, the eldest daughter of a family who finds herself having to make the most difficult decision of her life. Another victim of the crash's injured eye forces Mark, Lexie and Julia to work together. Meanwhile, in a bid to save the life of the patient Teddy is operating on, Owen forces Cristina to assist her in surgery while keeping her in the dark about the fact that Henry just died in Cristina's table.
- "Victims of a sudden impact are some of the hardest to treat. It's not just the collision that harms them, it's everything after. The centrifugal force keeps them moving; tossing them from vehicles, throwing them through windshields, slamming their internal organs into the skeleton. Their bodies are injured over and over again so there's no way to knowhow much damage has been done until they stop"
- "You can't prepare for a sudden impact, you can't brace yourself; it just hits you out of nowhere and suddenly life as you knew it before is over forever"
- "The Same" - Mackintosh Braun
- "Always Looking" - Dum Dum Girls
- "Pictures" - Benjamin Francis Leftwich
- "Skin" - Zola Jones
- "New York" - Snow Patrol
This episode's title originated from the song Suddenly, originally sung by Billy Ocean.