"Suicide Is Painless" is the eighteenth episode of the sixth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 120th produced episode of the series. It is also the 168th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 25, 2010.
When Teddy's patient seeks to end treatment and end her life she turns to Owen for help, but the situation triggers Owen's memories of his life at war and his past relationship with Teddy. Callie and Arizona have a difference of opinion regarding what their future holds after while Richard tries to adjust to his new role as an attending surgeron. Meredith becomes angry at Derek when he steals one of her surgeries.
- "Dying isn't easy. The body was designed to stay alive: thick skulls, strong hearts, keen senses. And when the body starts to fail medicine takes over. Surgeons are arrogant enough to think there's no one we can't save. Like I said, dying isn't easy."
- "Living is better than dying, until it's not. But even if letting a person die is the right thing to do, it's not what surgerons are built for. We're arrogant and competitive. We don't like to lose and death feels like a loss, even when we know it's not. We know it's time, we know it's right. We know we did everything we could. But it's hard to shake the feeling that you could have done more."
- "Holding Out For Love" - Ashtar Command
- "Hold On" - Angus and Julia Stone
- "Static Waves" - Andrew Belle
- "Draw Your Swords" - Angus and Julia Stone
- "Heaven" - Brett Dennen feat. Natalie Merchant
- "Abandon Ship" - Sorry Kisses
This episodes' title references the song Suicide Is Painless, originally sung by The Mash