"Sweet Surrender" is the twentieth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 98th produced episode of the series. It is also the 127th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on April 23, 2009.
Amidst a series of intense treatments, Izzie throws herself into Derek and Meredith's wedding plans and she tries to remain optimistic while her treatment begins to take it's tolll on her. George catches the eye of Owen when he excels during a trauma case while Alex freezes. Bailey learns of the heart-wrenching practices in peads while Callie's father arrives in Seattle and is far from pleased to learn of the drastic change in her life. Lexie tries to mend the rift between Derek and Mark.
- "Defeat isn't an option, not for surgerons. We don't back away from the table until the last breath is long gone. Terminal is a challenge, life-threatening is what gets us out of bed in the morning. We're not easily intimidated, we don't flinch, we don't back down and we certainly don't surrender. Not at work anyway."
- "To do our jobs we have to believe defeat is not an option. That no matter how sick our patients get there's hope for them. But even when our hopes give way to reality and we finally have to surrender to the truth it just means we've lost todays battle, not tomorrows war. Here's the thing about surrender: once you do it, actually give in, you forget why you were actually fighting in the first place."
- "Vagabonds And Clowns" - Mostar Driving Club
- "Sweetheart" - Jont
- "Summer Came When We Were Falling Out" - Shady Bard
- "Break Me Out" - The Rescues
This episodes' title references the song Sweet Surrender, originally sung by John Denver