"Sympathy For The Devil" is the twelfth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 90th produced episode of the series. It is also the 110th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on January 15, 2009.
Derek's mother arrives in Seattle and meets Meredith for the first time while treating the death row inmate continues to force Derek to face his demons while Meredith struggles with how to react when her patient offers to donate his organs to Bailey and Arizona's ailing peads patient. Mark's attempts to conceal his relationship with Lexie go awry. Owen asks Cristina out on a date and Izzie is forced to reasses her relationship with Alex and her visions of Denny.
- "My mother used to say this about residency: it takes a year to learn how to cut, it takes a lifetime to learn not to. Of all of the tools on the surgical tray, sound judgement is the trickiest to master and without it we're all just toddlers running around with ten-blades."
- "We're human, we make mistakes, we mis-estimate, we call it wrong. But when a surgeron makes a bad judgement call it's not as simple. People get hurt, they bleed. So we struggle over every stitch, we agonize over every suture because the snap judgements, the ones that come to us quickly and easily without hesitation, they're the ones that haunt us forever."
- "Take Away The Words" - Winterpills
- "All The Same To Me" - Anya Marina
- "What A Pity" - Right Away, Great Captain
- "Last Day Of Your Life" - Glass Pear
- "The Acrobat" - Jonathan Rice
This episodes' title references the song Sympathy For The Devil, originally sung by The Rolling Stones