"Take The Lead" is the third episode of the eighth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 151st produced episode of the series. It is also the 227th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on September 29, 2011.
The residents tackle their first solo procedures while all reeling with the news of Richard's decision to step down. For the new Chief, Owen, his new responsibilities give him the perfect way to avoid his and Cristina's martial troubles while Bailey has her own objections to Richard's choice. Meanwhile, April's leadership is tested as she struggles to command respect and Meredith's first solo neuro procedure forces the issues between her and Derek.
- "You work, you study, you prepare. Months and years leading to one day; the day when you step up. On that day you have to be ready for anything but there's one thing you can never quite prepare for; the day you step down."
- "Sometimes it happens in an instant; we step up, we become a leader; we see a path forward. We see a path and we take it even when we have no idea where we're going."
- "Don't Stop (Color On The Walls)" - Foster The People
- "Each Other Brother" - MoZella & Tim Myers
- "Lost And Found" - Katie Herzig
- "Nothing But Time" - Opus Orange
- "Rain" - The Innocence Mission
This episode's title originated from the song Take The Lead, originally sung by Despair Academy.