"The Becoming" is the fourteenth episode of the fourth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 75th produced episode of the series. It is also the 84th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on May 8, 2008.
Cristina has to face her feelings for Burke when news of his winning the Harper Avery reaches Seattle Grace while a "date-and-tell" policy is instated at Seattle Grace when the nurses protest against Mark's trysts. Erica feels put aside by Callie who begins to distances herself and prove her sexuality by sleeping with Mark. Izzie struggles to let Alex move forward with Ava after learning the truth about her pregnancy and Richard uses George to prove to Adele that he is deligating.
- "There's this person in my head. She is brilliant, capable, she can do chest tubes and craniotomies, she can run a code without freaking out. She's a really good surgeron, maybe even a great surgeron. She's me. Only so much better."
- "It was a good day, maybe even a great day. I was a good doctor even when it was hard. I was the me in my head. There was a moment when I thought I can't do this, I can't do this alone. But I closed my eyes and imagined myself doing it, and I did. I blocked out the fear and I did it."
- "Carmella " - Beth Orton
- "Mansard Roof " - Vampire Weekend
- "Know When To Walk Away " - Jay Clifford
- "Brightest Hour" - The Submarines
- "Only Yesterday" - Taken By Trees
- "Good Arms vs. Bad Arms" - Frightened Rabbit
This episodes' title references the song The Becoming, originally sung by Nine Inch Nails