"The End Is The Beginning Is The End" is the eleventh episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 183rd produced episode of the series. It is also the 293rd produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on January 17, 2012.
Meredith, Cristina, Derek and Arizona hear big news about their lawsuit against the hospital but when the news gets back to them about their victory, none of the survivors share Callie's desire to celebrate while Owen questions his professional future, and his relationship with Cristina, in the wake of their victory. Elsewhere, Alex and Jo's friendship develops while Jackson treats one of Mark Sloan's old patients, but comes into conflict with Arizona when he attempts to change Mark's treatment plan, while treating a patient forces Bailey to deal with her disappointment over her honeymoon. Richard avoids Catherine's romantic advances as he tries to overcome Adele's death.
- "The big day is here, the day you're going to hear the news, the test result. Is the biopsy malignant or benign? Am I going to live or die? You just want to know, even if the news is scary because then you can move on because then you can move on, whatever that means"
- "They say ignorance is bliss, because once you know about the tumour or the prognosis you can't go back. Will you be strong or will you fall apart. It's hard to predict so don't worry about it. Enjoy the time you have before the news comes. Yeah, ignorance is bliss"
- "Stompa" - Serena Ryder
- "Disaster" - The Mynabirds
- "What It's Worth" - Engineers feat. Mark Peters
- "Shine On Everything" - Left Hand Smoke
This episode's title originated from the song The End Is The Beginning Is The End, originally sung by The Smashing Pumpkins.