"These Ties That Bind" is the eighth episode of the fifth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 86th produced episode of the series. It is also the 100th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on November 13, 2008.
The arrival of Meredith's old friend Sadie gives Derek an insight in Meredith's past while Izzie tries make sense of Denny's recent appearances in her life as she searches for a way to get rid of him. In the wake of Hahn's departure, Bailey is assigned with wooing new surgeron Virgina Dixon, who brings rules and order to the O.R and Callie tries to cope with her departure. Lexie leads the interns in secretive, unorthodox surgical-training sessions.
- "It's intense what happens in the O.R, when lives are on the line and you're poking at brains like they're silly putty. You form a bond with the surgeons right next to you; an unbreakable, indescribable bond. It's intimate being tied together like that. Whether you like it or not, whether you like them or not, you become family."
- "The ties that bind us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic. Because some ties are simply meant to be."
- "The Uniform" - The Flying
- "Ah, Ah, Ah" - The Coral Sea
- "It's A Funny Thing" - Jets Overhead
- "Falling for You" - Seabird
- "Trouble Is A Friend" - Lenka
This episodes' title references the song These Ties That Bind, originally sung by RJ Cowdery