"This Is How We Do It" is the seventeenth episode of the seventh season of Grey's Anatomy and the 143rd produced episode of the series. It is also the 213th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 24, 2011.
Richard becomes desperate for Derek and Meredith to admit Adele into their clinical trial when her condition becomes more apparent but Adele may be standing in her own way. Mark and Arizona have conflicting ideas about what kind of baby shower Callie wants while a complication with Henry's health forces Teddy to feel over exposed. The competitiveness amongst the residents for the Chief Resident position is amplified when Richard receives the green light for his diabetes clinical trial.
- "Renegades, rule breakers, gangster's with scalpels. This is how we like to think of ourselves. It makes us feel bad-ass, sexy. The problem is that's not exactly true. At heart we're rule followers, sheep. we don't break protocol, we follow it to a tee because if we don't follow protcol our patients die and then we're no longer bad-ass, we're just bad."
- "It's every doctors dilemma: do you play it safe and follow protocol or take a risk and invent a new one. There can be reward in risk, there can also be fallout. Still, you need to buck the system once in a while, bet big. And when you get the results you want there's no better feeling in the world. But when you don't..."
- "Rumour Has It" - Adele
- "Eulogies" - Out Of Style, Out Of Touch
- "Little Marriage" - Lia Ices
- "Middle Distance Runner" - Sea Wolf
- "Someone Like You" - Adele
This episodes' title references the song This Is How We Do It, originally sung by Montell Jordan