"Transplant Wasteland" is the seventeenth episode of the ninth season of Grey's Anatomy and the 189th produced episode of the series. It is also the 300th produced episode of the Grey's Anatomy franchise. It was broadcast on March 14, 2013.
Under new management, Seattle Grace Mercy West finds itself in a transitional phase as the new owners of the hospital find their former co-workers are now their employees. Elsewhere, Jackson, thrust into a leadership position on behalf of the Harper Avery Foundation, tries to prove himself as a leader as a series of transplant surgeries challenge his policies. Owen begins to question whether or not he has a future at Seattle Grace while Richard butts heads with Catherine about her decision to put Jackson at the helm. Meanwhile, April treats a former Mercy West colleague who makes a shocking choice about his future while Alex struggles to hide his frustrations that Jo is dating someone else.
- "To a critically ill patient an organ transplant means a new start, a second chance. But the body is designed to fight off any outside invader, even one that's trying to save it. Because a transplant doesn't guarantee an easier life. There's a threat that the body will reject the organ outright"
- "A patient goes from worrying about getting and organ to worrying if the organ will be rejected. The anxiety continues until they can finally open their eyes after surgery and see that their gift has been accepted."
- "Miracle Mile" - Cold War Kids
- "Distant Shouts" - Little Children
- "Go First" - Rose Cousins
This episode's title originated from the song Transplant Wasteland, originally sung by Arcana.